Ir al contenido

Corgi UK

Hornby Hobbies - A Model History

A one off special bookazine, following the recent success of the BBC Four documentary, James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain show. The bookazine includes history of not only our UK brands but our international ones too.
0,00

1970s Ford RS Collection

1970s Ford RS Collection Since 1970, the RS badge has adorned the ultimate fast Fords, cars that have won in motorsport the world over and created an enduring legend of success that proved the old adage, win on Sunday sell on Monday. RS was first seen on the 1968 Ford Taunus 15M Rallye Sport, a front-wheel-drive 2-door saloon or coup with a 90bhp 1699cc V4. However, the legend really began in 1970 when the Capri RS2600 and Escort RS1600 were launched; both won, prodigiously, and cemented RS in the public consciousness as Ford™s glamorous symbol of speed and success. Here we celebrate four generations of RS Escort, the cars with which the magic initials, RS, became synonymous. Ford Escort Mk1 RS2000 Olympic Blue Length 95mm Ford™s Total Performance™ maxim led to the creation of the Lotus-Cortina in 1963 which, whilst successful in racing, never quite dominated rallying. That changed, however, when its engine and gearbox were transplanted into the new smaller, more nimble Escort in 1968. The Escort became the car to beat on the special stage; a position it maintained until the dawn of the 1980s. By November 1970 Ford had opened a dedicated factory, Advanced Vehicle Operations (AVO) in Essex, to produce the RS Escorts. In 1973 they launched the most refined and the bestselling MK1 Escort RS, the RS2000, of which 5,334 would be produced. Ford Capri Mk1 RS31000 Diamond White Length 101mm The Escort dominated rallying in the early 1970s but Ford faced strong opposition in the European Touring Car Championship (ETCC) and conceived the Capri RS3100 as a BMW-beater. It delivered; Ford won the 1974 ETCC manufacturers™ crown. The racers™ 3.4-litre Cosworth-designed DOHC engine used the original Essex V6 block and produced 455bhp but, like the rest of the car, pushed the rules to the limit. The road-going RS3100s were all built at Halewood in November 1973 and featured a 3091cc version of the Capri™s usual OHV Essex V6. Although ETCC rules demanded a minimum of 1000 cars be built only 250 were produced. Ford Escort Mk2 RS2000 Custom Java Green Length 95mm The Mk1 RS2000 had been a conspicuous and, most crucially, profitable success for Ford. Thus, when the Escort Mk2 range was being planned the RS2000 was given a distinctive new, more aerodynamic nose and moved upmarket, although it was produced with other Escorts at Ford™s factory in Saarlouis, Germany, because the oil crises had forced the closure of AVO. The resulting car was perfect for the moment and its image was not hindered by being seen catching bad guys in The Professionals™ every week on TV, or by Ari Vatanen™s high profile win on the 1976 Tour of Britain in an RS2000.
0,00

2021 Corgi Catalogue

The full 2021 range presented in our traditional annual A4 catalogue. 108 pages of diecast delight! Cars, Planes, Tanks plus movie and TV favourites. Not forgetting our themed collections - Cocao-Cola, The Beatles, Celbration, Pride and much more.
0,00

A40 Farina Mk1 'Alf', 1960 Monte Carlo Rally, Winner: Coupe des Dames, Pat Moss & Ann Wisdom

Pat Moss and Ann Wisdom's winning of the Coupe des Dames, or 'Ladies Prize', on the 1959 Monte Carlo Rally had been well publicised and BMC thus entered the pair in the 1960 Monte, always the season opening event in January, driving a similar A40. The little 1-litre A40 was one of Pat's favourite cars because it handled well, was the right size for rallying, responded well to tuning and the driving position suited her stature. BMC Competitions Department at Abingdon, where both Pat and 'Wiz' were very popular with the mechanics, built a new example for this event, 947 AOF, which Pat, who nearly always named her cars, immediately christened 'Alf'. Austin, Austin-Healey, MG and Morris are registered trademarks of MG Moror UK Ltd. Licensed by British Motor Heritage Ltd. Licensing agent LMI www.bmh-ltd.com
0,00

AEC RM 1000th Routemaster

With bright and beautiful liveries galore, the Original Omnibus range really is something to behold. Scaled at 1:76, the collection is perfect for bus enthusiasts, '00' gauge model railway collectors and equally anyone with an interest in the liveries buses carry. Every Original Omnibus die-cast metal model is part of a strictly limited production run. The models are meticulously researched to ensure the most accurate replica possible is produced. Individually numbered, limited edition certificates are included with each Original Omnibus model, in addition to a removable presentation plinth and high quality perspex display case. RM1000 was delivered to London Transport in October 1961 as the 1000th RM bus to be built, and thereafter was maintained in top condition for exhibition use with minimal normal service. Today it is held by the RM1000 Preservation Group.
0,00

AEC RM – Blackpool Transport, Pontins

RM 848 was new to London Transport in 1961 at the Edmonton garage, later moving to Wood Green. This bus was withdrawn by London Transport in 1985 and sold to Blackpool Transport in 1986. One of the thirteen Routemasters bought by Blackpool Transport, it was renumbered 522 and originally liveried with the Travel Card 3 Tram livery, it was allocated Route 12 which started at Squires Gate Airport to the borough boundry of St, Annes. It then moved onto route 55, the promenade service until 1989. In that same year the 55 route was changed to route 40, this route started at Blackpool Tower and was extended to serve Pontin's Holiday Camp. Between 1991 and 1993 it was painted with the all over Pontin’s advertisement. 552 was withdrawn in 1994 and it was sold to Reading Mainline in 1997. In 2000 it was sold back to LT for refurbishment and ran until 2005. In 2005 the bus was re-registered and put into private ownership.
0,00

AEC Type RM, ALM 50B, Heritage Route 15 Trafalgar Square, 'MAMMA MIA!'

Heritage Route 15, along with Heritage Route 9, was created in November 2005 by Transport for London to appeal to tourists and bus enthusiasts while retaining traditional Routemaster operation in central London. Operated by Stagecoach London, the Routemaster fleet was based at the former Waterden Road bus garage near Stratford until, in early 2008, it was demolished to make way for the 2012 London Olympic Stadium and Queen Elizabeth Park. The fleet was subsequently moved to West Ham garage from where Heritage Route 15 ran between Trafalgar Square, Aldwych, Fleet Street, St Paul's Cathedral, Cannon Street and Tower Hill, overlapping with Heritage Route 9 along the Strand between Trafalgar Square and Aldwych. A fleet of ten buses operated the route (five buses running in service, with the other five as back-up), running between 09:30 and 18:30 daily and they were freshly painted into 1960s London Transport red livery with a cream relief band and gold London Transport fleet names and numbers. A dedicated team of drivers and conductors crewed the fleet, dressed in period type uniform. Heritage Route 9 was dropped on 25 July, 2014, but in November 2015 TfL contracted Stagecoach to continue Heritage Route 15 until 2020 and it was planned for all ten vehicles used on the route to be refurbished internally and externally into almost original 1960s condition, complete with the correct dark red seat moquette and the reinstating of the original interior lighting. Only four out of the ten Routemasters, RM2060, RM1933, RM1941 and RM2089, were completed due to budgetary constraints and falling revenue on the route though. Travelling between Tower Hill to St Paul's Cathedral the route is popular with tourists, but few make the whole end-to-end journey on Heritage Route 15 and so, from 1 March, 2019, weekday operation of the route was dropped in favour of working weekends and public holidays only between March and the end of September. ALM 50B (RM2050), entered service with London Transport at Aldenham Depot in October 1964, working Route 137. In 1986 the vehicle was overhauled ready for transfer to London Transport's Commercial Operations (Sightseeing) unit, having an AEC engine fitted and reliveried into London Transport Red, with a cream band. Sold into preservation in 1987, RM2050 moved between owners until being completely rebuilt at Marshall (Cambridge) with a new engine, gearbox and interior improvements, after which it was allocated to Arriva London North for use on Route 38. In November 2005, RM2050 was removed from storage at Leyton and assigned to Stagecoach for use on Heritage Route 15, over which it still operates.
0,00

AEC Type RM - London Transport - 359 CLT - Route 88 Acton Green - 'Boulogne, The motorway to Europe'

By the time of the 1933 London Passe Transport Act, Route 88 was firmly established, connecting Acton Green to Belmont, via Oxford Circus, Mitcham and Sutton. Although cut back during the Second World War, by 1950 it had become a recognised cross-London trunk route with stops at Acton Green, Oxford Circus, Vauxhall Bridge, Stockwell, Tooting Broadway, Mitcham Cricketers (Monday to Friday only), St. Helier Rose (Monday to Friday peaks and Saturdays only), Sutton and, on a Sunday, Belmont. The main allocation of buses at this time were allocated to Merton Garage and in May 1950, RTWs were introduced on the route as part of the successful central London trials of 8' wide buses, but in November 1958 Merton lost the 88 route and the main allocation moved to Stockwell Garage, who were running RTLs. The RTM Routemasters arrived on the route from July 1966, only being superseded by RMLs in March 1975. Operating out of Stockwell Garage on route 37 until June 1966, 359 CLT (RM1359) had entered service in December 1962. After briefly being moved to storage at Thornton Heath, RM1359 was allocated to route 88 later on in June. While allocated to Shepherds Bush Garage, on 26 April 1974 RM1359 emerged from Finchleys Woodberry Grove Garage in a very bright, Boulogne The motorway to Europe advertising scheme that promoted travel to France by Sealink and Seaspeed, being one of only four advert buses that entered service that year. Although London Transports advert buses were limited to one per route, many MPs were lobbying Parliament to ban them, but in the meantime the bus actually ended up in Boulogne on a Chiswick Works visit that took place on 29 May 1974. The Boulogne scheme was removed from RM1359 on 26 September 1974 and the bus continued in service with London Transport until July 1987, at which point it was sold on to Brakell Omnibus Sales of Cheam, eventually being exported in May 1992 to Riparo Auto SNC in Palermo, Sicily. London Transport and (London Transport Logo) are registered trade marks of Transport for London. New Routemaster is a Registered Design of Transport for London. Produced under license by Corgi.
0,00

AEC Type RM - London Transport - 359 CLT - Route 88 Mitcham Cricketers - 'Boulogne, The motorway to Europe'

By the time of the 1933 London Passe Transport Act, Route 88 was firmly established, connecting Acton Green to Belmont, via Oxford Circus, Mitcham and Sutton. Although cut back during the Second World War, by 1950 it had become a recognised cross-London trunk route with stops at Acton Green, Oxford Circus, Vauxhall Bridge, Stockwell, Tooting Broadway, Mitcham Cricketers (Monday to Friday only), St. Helier Rose (Monday to Friday peaks and Saturdays only), Sutton and, on a Sunday, Belmont. The main allocation of buses at this time were allocated to Merton Garage and in May 1950, RTWs were introduced on the route as part of the successful central London trials of 8' wide buses, but in November 1958 Merton lost the 88 route and the main allocation moved to Stockwell Garage, who were running RTLs. The RTM Routemasters arrived on the route from July 1966, only being superseded by RMLs in March 1975. Operating out of Stockwell Garage on route 37 until June 1966, 359 CLT (RM1359) had entered service in December 1962. After briefly being moved to storage at Thornton Heath, RM1359 was allocated to route 88 later on in June. While allocated to Shepherds Bush Garage, on 26 April 1974 RM1359 emerged from Finchleys Woodberry Grove Garage in a very bright, Boulogne The motorway to Europe advertising scheme that promoted travel to France by Sealink and Seaspeed, being one of only four advert buses that entered service that year. Although London Transports advert buses were limited to one per route, many MPs were lobbying Parliament to ban them, but in the meantime the bus actually ended up in Boulogne on a Chiswick Works visit that took place on 29 May 1974. The Boulogne scheme was removed from RM1359 on 26 September 1974 and the bus continued in service with London Transport until July 1987, at which point it was sold on to Brakell Omnibus Sales of Cheam, eventually being exported in May 1992 to Riparo Auto SNC in Palermo, Sicily.
0,00

Albatros DV 2059/17

Albatros DV 2059/17
0,00

Albatros D.V Biplane - Jasta 23 - Otto Kissemberth

Great War German fighter ace Otto Kissenberth has been described as being something of a character, brave and tenacious in the air, but a fighter pilot with a rather unusual trait - he flew combat missions whilst wearing his spectacles, something only two other Luftstreitkrfte fighter aces were known to have done. Given command of Royal Bavarian Jasta 23 at the beginning of August 1917, Kissenberth would continue his association with the Albatros D series of fighters and in particular, aircraft serial number D2263/17, a machine in which it is thought he would go on to score the majority of his 20 aerial victories. As his personal aircraft, it was distinctive by virtue of its smart black fuselage and the large yellow and white Edelweiss emblem it sported on either side of the fuselage, just behind the cockpit. Further adding to the fascinating story of this particular Great War Albatros ace, Kissenberth would claim a British RNAS Sopwith Camel for himself, an aircraft which had been forced down intact by another one of his unit™s pilots. Overpainting the aircraft™s British insignia with new, highly visible German markings (for obvious reasons), he apparently flew the aircraft on many occasions and incredibly, used this captured aircraft to score the last of his 20 victories on 16th May 1918, when he used it to bring down a British SE5a fighter near the town of Tilly-Neuville.
0,00

Albatros D.V Biplane - Jasta 5 - Ltn.d.R Wolf

Albatros D.V, Ltn.d.R Wolf, Jasta 5, July 1917 In the deadly life or death struggle for supremacy of the skies during WWI, many airmen wanted to make their association with a particular aircraft as successful as possible, not only a visual representation of their combat prowess, but also creating a psychological bond between man and machine. Once this practice had become established, there was an explosion of colour over the trenches of the Western Front, as aircraft were adorned with personal schemes and regional or family emblems, some being so elaborate that they had historians questioning how aerodrome personnel had the time, skill or basic materials to apply these schemes. Jasta 5 would earn a reputation as one of the units possessing some of the most colourfully presented fighters and were given incredible freedom when it came to painting their aircraft, something which reflected the combat prowess the unit had earned. Of all the distinctively decorated aircraft to have represented the ‘Green Tails’, perhaps none was more flamboyant that the personal aircraft of Leutnant R Wolf, a pilot who may not have been one of the most successful pilots of the unit, but certainly knew how to decorate an Albatros. His scheme was linked to his heritage and featured an elaborate fuselage of blue and white diamonds, a representation of the Bavarian coat of arms and crest. Wolf used this aircraft following the introduction of the Albatros D.V during the summer of 1917.
0,00

Aston Martin DBS - James Bond 'Quantum of Solace'

Roaring into the opening moments of ‘Quantum of Solace’ and picking up immediately after the close of ‘Casino Royale’, the Aston Martin DBS returns under the control of James Bond as he finds himself under relentless pursuit by agents of the shadowy organisation Quantum. Driving through the tunneled road that runs alongside Lake Garda in Italy, the DBS sustains damage in dramatic fashion as 007 collides with a heavy goods vehicle while avoiding oncoming traffic, resulting in the driver’s door being ripped clean away. The opening sequence of ‘Quantum of Solace’ was filmed on location in Italy over 16 days in the spring of 2008. The location of Lake Garda produced numerous challenges, not least because of the long and narrow tunnel that that car chase was filmed in. With only two lanes available in the confined space, absolute precision was required by the stunt team.
0,00

Audi quattro, Sable Brown Metallic

The quattro modelled was first registered in August, 1984, is one of only fourteen right-hand-drive examples in this colour and was specified, unusually, with tan leather upholstery. During its UK life it covered around 130,000 miles and had fifteen owners but was looked after carefully by each one and had an extensive service history; quattro owners tend to be enthusiasts who care for their car. The last UK owner, Gary West, an engineer who works restoring vehicles at the Haynes International Museum in Sparkford, Somerset, bought it from a classic car dealer in Bristol. After his tenure, because of its unusual and desirable colour, it was bought by a private collector in Malaysia. The first owner drove over an obstruction when the car was relatively new and ripped off an oil pipe, damaging the engine, which was rebuilt by Audi Sport. Like all UK market 1984 model year quattros, this car featured a revised specification that included anti-lock brakes, wider wheels and tyres, a digital facia display and revised gear ratios plus the vacuum differential locks as well as revised suspension and single piece Cibié headlamps which had been introduced in 1983. The quattro entered limited production in 1980 but Audi continued to develop the car after its rallying success turned it into a world-wide icon and brand builder for the company, producing regular mechanical and styling updates until production ceased in 1990 after 11,452 had been made.
0,00

Austin Mini 850, RAF Police.

The RAF Police used Minis for many years to patrol the perimeter of airfields, varying their route and timetable to keep their movements unpredictable while maintaining close radio contact with controllers. The Mini's long service career in this role spanned from shortly after its launch in 1959 until the early 1980s, and they were known as LMVs, or Light Military Vehicles, by the RAF Mechanical Transport Division. Minis were ordered in RAF blue directly from BMC, although from the early 1970s Minis used in this role were painted Olive Drab green with a yellow stripe. The RAF Mini Club, custodians of the Mini's RAF history, was invaluable while researching this model's livery. The Mini was ideal in this role because of its nippy performance, nimble handling and good traction. Both then and now, the RAF Police have a very important and diverse role protecting bases and aircraft from threats like espionage, sabotage, organised crime and terrorism. They were formed on April 1st, 1918, when the RAF was created by the merger of the Royal Flying Corpsand the Royal Naval Air Service. By the end of World War II there were 500 officers and 20,000 NCOs in the RAFP. In January 1947, the RAF Provost Branch became a Specialist Branch within the RAF and in December 1950 George VI approved the crest and motto 'Fiat Justitia', meaning 'Let justice be done', which is still used today. Engine: 848cc 4IL OHV; Power: 34bhp@5500rpm; Torque: 44lb.ft@2900rpm; 0-50mph: 27.1 seconds; Maximum speed: 72mph; Unladen weight: 1380lbs.
0,00

Austin Mini 850, RAF Station Commander

RAF stations are often very large plots of land, and to get around the Station Commander used a Mini, which was ideal for the role being nippy, reliable, easy to park and economical to both buy and run. It was distinguishable by the blue and red flag on the bonnet as other black Minis were used for general transport roles around RAF facilities. Many racetracks, most noticeably Silverstone and Goodwood, originated as airfield perimeter tracks and it wasn't unusual for even quite senior officers to use these Minis to perform a quick 'handling test' on the perimeter track as it was a more carefree era than today's health and safety dominated world. Minis were bought in large numbers by the RAF and were used for both general Mechanical Transport duties and VIP transport, being cheaper and more suitable for this role than Land-Rovers which were used for heavy loads, towing or operating off road. Executive officers would often have a Mini as a daily duty vehicle that the MT section would pick up or drop off each weekend. BMC worked closely with government organisations, the military, the police and others, and had liaison engineers who dealt with the problems found in service and fed the information back to improve the car. These Minis were often involved in squadron high-jinks, with one apparently finding its way on to the roof of a hanger after a squadron function. Engine: 848cc 4IL OHV; Power: 34bhp@5500rpm; Torque: 44lb.ft@2900rpm; 0-50mph: 27.1 seconds; Maximum speed: 72mph; Unladen weight: 1380lbs.
0,00

Austin Mini Cooper S Durham Constabulary

The Cooper S modelled was a Durham Constabulary Traffic Car and was usually operated by a female crew of two. It was one of several Mini Cooper S vehicles on their fleet, as period photographs prove, but the car itself no longer exists. Mini Coopers were popular traffic cars in the North East as their size and spritely performance made them very agile in both the urban and countryside topography that makes up County Durham. Their front-wheel-drive configuration also provided good traction in harsh winter conditions on the North East's hills. They were rarely used for dual carriageway or motorway work though as Durham Traffic Police used more powerful Jaguar Mk2s in this role. The Mini Cooper's potential as a police car was obvious immediately the 997cc model was introduced in 1961. However, it really came into its own in February 1964 when the 1275cc Cooper S version arrived. Its greater engine capacity meant extra torque so less performance was sacrificed when the vehicle was carrying the weight and aerodynamic penalties police traffic patrol cars incur when fully equipped. It became a popular vehicle in this role with police forces all over the UK, especially those in the North, and was used in a basically standard form except for the fitment of an alternator to handle the Police vehicles greater electrical load and often (but not in this car) motorsport derived twin fuel tanks to give greater range. Engine: 1275cc 4-IL OHV; Power: 76bhp@5800rpm; Torque: 79lb.ft@3000rpm; Max speed: 97mph; 0-60mph: 10.9 secs; Weight: 1440lbs. The MINI logo and the MINI wordmark are trademarks of BMW AG and are used under license.
0,00

Austin Mini Cooper S Mk1 1275cc Almond Green

The car modelled was built at BMC's Longbridge plant, Austin's original home, on March 25th 1965 and despatched to distributors E. W. Jackson and Son Limited, Doncaster, on April 12th. They supplied it to Austin dealership McDonald's in Mexborough, Yorkshire, who initially used it as a demonstrator. In 2017, after some years off the road, it was restored to factory specification using the originalmatching-number components by Essex-based specialist J.D. Classics under the auspices of award winning Mini restoration expert, Scott Turner. It was then purchased by Mike Cooper, son of John Cooper; the man who spotted the motor sport potential in his friend Alec Issigonis' 'District Nurses car' and developed the Mini Cooper. The MINI logo and the MINI wordmark are trademarks of BMW AG and are used under license.
0,00

Austin Mini Se7en Deluxe, Farina Grey, The 4th Oldest Surviving Mini

The Fourth Oldest Surviving Mini Gladys Hobro bought XLL 27 new in 1959 and kept it until June 1986 but only used it when she and her family returned home to Bognor Regis from Khartoum, Sudan, where they were based. Second owner, Chichester-based David Gallimore, never started his intended restoration and offered the 30,041 mile car for sale in 2011. It was purchased, in the original but very rusty state modelled here, by three Mini enthusiasts from Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, Richard Bremner, Bryan Smart and Robert Lancaster-Gaye. In 2012, having proved the car's production history, significance and originality, they consigned it, unrestored, to Bonham's auctioneers. They'd initially feared losing their £10,000 investment so were amazed when it sold for £40,250. Researched with the help of the BMIHT Gaydon. The MINI logo and the MINI wordmark are trademarks of BMW AG and are used under license.
0,00

Austin Morris Mini Clubman 1100, Reynard Metallic

The Clubman was given an 1100cc engine in October 1975 to help differentiate it in the market from Minis with the more traditional nose. Further improvement came from a new refinement package consisting of improved subframe mountings, revised springs and dampers plus extra sound deadening. This, along with bright metallic colours, kept the Clubman competitive until the Metro arrived in 1980. The example modelled was built on May 5th 1978 in Longbridge and sold by salesman Mr P.G. Rigby at BL dealers 'Julians of Reading Ltd', in February 1979. The first owner, Mrs Milica Knezevic, paid £3059.10 for the car, which included tax of £511.93 and £175 for the underseal and vinyl roof. Current owner, Gary Jones from Edinburgh, bought the car in 2015 to add to his collection of low-mileage classics because, remarkably, it has covered less than 12,000 miles from new. It is still in very good original unrestored condition and crucially, perhaps because of that dealer-fit underseal, has never been welded. It was featured as a recommended low-mileage purchase in the 15th September 2010 edition of Classic Car Weekly and was even on the front cover. This, its unusual colour and distinctive Dunlop Denovo wheels, which the Heritage Certificate shows were fitted from new, also add to its attractiveness to collectors. Gary has decided not to keep to the car, however, and has consigned it for sale to 'Morris Leslie Classic Vehicle Auctions'. Engine: 1098cc OHV; Power: 45bhp@5250rpm; Torque: 56lb.ft@2700rpm; Maximum speed: 82mph; 0-60 mph: 17.9 secs; Weight: 1424lbs. The MINI logo and the MINI wordmark are trademarks of BMW AG and are used under license.
0,00

Avro Lancaster B.1 PA474, operated by The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the only airworthy Lancaster in Europe

As arguably the best loved historic aircraft in Britain today, Avro Lancaster B.I PA474 is one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world and the only one flying in Europe. Operated by the Coningsby based Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the aircraft serves as a flying memorial to almost 64,000 men of RAF Bomber Command who were either killed or injured during the Second World War and is a highlight act at any event which it displays. Over the years, the aircraft has been presented in several different wartime schemes, marking the achievements of particular aircraft, aircrews or squadrons. Following the completion of its 2016 winter maintenance schedule, it emerged in this attractive scheme which features the markings of two different Lancasters. The port side wears the markings of W5005 AR-L 'Leader' of No.460 RAAF Squadron, including attractive nose artwork featuring a kangaroo playing the bagpipes, highlighting the international nature of the aircraft's crew. The starboard side carries the codes VN-T, representing a Lancaster of RAF No.50 Squadron, one which was flown by F/O Douglas Millikin DFC on 27 missions of his first tour of operations F/O Millikin was the grandfather of the Commanding Officer of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at the time of the Lancaster's repaint. PA474 was still wearing these popular markings at the end of the 2019 Airshow season. The original idea of forming a Historic Aircraft Flight of wartime piston engined aircraft began to take shape during 1957 at RAF Biggin Hill, as Wing Commander Peter Thompson DFC had access to one of the last Hawker Hurricanes in RAF service and wanted to preserve the aircraft for the benefit of the nation. Within weeks, the new Flight benefitted from the addition of three former Temperature and Humidity Flight Spitfires from RAF Woodvale and the nucleus of the Battle of Britain Flight was born. To more accurately reflect the growing commemorative role the Flight was being asked to perform, the name was changed to its current Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and whilst the aircraft it has operated since inception may have changed, the affection in which they are held has increased with each passing year. In November 1973, the Flight received a huge boost with the arrival of Avro Lancaster B.I PA474, an aircraft which since that date has been continually upgraded to as near wartime configuration as possible. The aircraft of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight are regarded as a highlight act at any Airshow at which they display and are in high demand throughout the year, performing a multitude of ceremonial and commemorative duties alongside their many Airshow commitments. Receiving numerous requests to perform flypasts each year, it is not uncommon for the BBMF to undertake several hundred flying appearances during a season, thrilling many millions of spectators and aviation enthusiasts in the process. BAE SYSTEMS is a registered trade mark of BAE Systems plc.
0,00